Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Undoing the anxiety also known as How to stop the panic attacks

After I wrote the last post coming out as a sufferer of panic attacks, I was not in a good place. I spent the next week with some of the worst panic attacks I have had to date. I felt for periods of time that I was constantly on the verge of another one.

Since then, I have not had any full-on panic attacks, just one minor attack that ended rather quickly.

How did they stop?


1. I let go and let God.

I confessed my feelings of always needing to control situations to God. I asked forgiveness and spent time reading the Bible and praying. I felt very strongly that God was telling me, "He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion." I felt peace. I knew that no matter how and no matter what, God is in control.

2. Give in to the panic

There was something about God's peace that told me that even if I should suffer more panic attacks that everything is well and that God is in control. It had given me the freedom to just let go when I feel an attack coming. I just say to the panic, "go ahead. Do your worst," and I pray. It is such a freeing feeling that the panic attacks have not fully panned out.

3. Get enough sleep

This one has been key for me. I noticed that nearly all of my panic attacks were occurring in the middle of the night, usually when I'd gone to bed too late.

I'm guessing that this issue isn't over for me. What is over is the terrifying fear that comes with with the panic attacks. God is in control and he offers peace to us that surpasses all understanding. I just have to accept it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails